Help is available to reduce the symptoms of trauma, improve nervous system and emotional regulation, and return to pleasurable activities and living life rather than managing symptoms.
Working with a trauma trained therapist using evidence-based CBT, somatic or other practices can address important elements of healing symptoms, including:
- sensory-motor integration (riding out the bodily sensations of intense emotions such as fear and anger);
- slowing things down and putting on the brakes to stay within the window of tolerance to allow the ability of integration of difficult memories and experiences without dissociation or numbing;
- cognitive restructuring of erroneous perceptions and beliefs resulting from the trauma;
- healthy activation of the flight/fight protective response which has been shown to mitigate trauma symptoms;
- reclaiming one’s personal power and developing assertiveness and healthy boundaries;
- processing and integrating painful memories and experiences
- building on resources and strengths.
If you or someone you know is experiencing symptoms of trauma, contact Dr. Valerie Sher at 408-507-4329 for a free consultation and get help now.